Monday 20 April 2020

Supsliskans in lockdown, week 4, 6-12 April 2020


Week four of lockdown begins 6 April 2020

Ian 6 April 2020

Hello Everyone

Am I the first to have received Boris's letter? It arrived this morning and he must have posted it on his way into hospital, exhausted at signing all 60,000,000 of them. I don't think it told us anything that we didn't know already. And the Queen didn't follow his guidelines by leaving her London pad for her country home in Windsor - should she step down like the Chief Medical Officer for Scotland?

Anyway the Devil finds work for idle hands to do and I have gathered a second sheaf of emails, sorted them, printed them off and posted them to Peter with an invitation to write a personal report that I can keyboard and add to the growing list. I have also used the opportunity to load them up in weekly installments on the Supsliska blog. You can find them at: 


It was quite a job to get them into order and I may have missed some and some may have even appeared twice. Please let me know if you wish to make any corrections - or if you would prefer your contributions not to appear. I feel they will serve as an interesting record of a once-in-a-lifetime (we hope) event that has turned society upside down but also brought people together. I have not included images and the links are not yet live. 

Otherwise little to report. Our Close does not seem to have been applauding, but the other day I applauded the postman from our kitchen window as he delivered the post. He smiled and gave a thumbs-up. There have also been military aircraft flying around over Exeter - a massive Hercules transport plan and a large helicopter. We thought they might be delivering medical supplies but the MoD stated that the Hercules was on a training exercise. The helicopter seemed to land in a nearby school playing field. They sounded all the louder after weeks of respite from aircraft using Exeter airport. The garden is now a quiet haven and we are able enjoy watching and listening to the birds. A pair of sparrows seem to be nesting very close to the house. I attach a couple of photographs, not to boast of our horticultural prowess but to show how the prettiest places are where nature has been allowed a free hand, with bluebells in the border and primroses on the lawn.

Be good and obey Boris, everyone,  Ian and Jill

Jane 6 April 2020

Excellent blogs, Ian.  Very many thanks for doing them.

Our building of 4 flats got 2 Boris envelopes this morning. As the student  tenants are not in residence we can have one each. "A vital update from the Government". I think not.

Our Tesco has introduced a one way system with arrows up one aisle and down the next. I never go up the fruit aisle first and had to retrace my steps so spending twice the time in the shop. It seems I cannot transfer money to younger son's account for his and granddaughter's birthdays because I do not do online banking, and Sainsbury's have only self service tills. As if isolation was not bad enough  obstacles are being being placed in the path of elderly luddites at every turn, and we cannot even buy alcohol during shopping hours for the aged.

Still complaining and still well in the North!

Love to all, Jane

Janet 6 April 2020

Dear All

Thanks to Jane and Ian for latest contributions. I do feel sorry for poor Boris and hope he will recover in a week or two. In defence of Her Majesty, Ian, I would point out that all she has done is go home to a place of relative safety, given she is still working hard at 92 years of age but is none-the-less in the "vulnerable" category. Buckingham Palace is more of an office than a home and is used for many semi-public occasions. Her "holiday homes" include Sandringham and Balmoral and, in fact, the Duke of Edinburgh flew back from Sandringham to be with her at Windsor Castle. We need them both to be kept as safe as possible. Plus, from inside Windsor Castle they are scarcely going to be potentially contaminating the locals with corona virus, which is the main reason people are being asked to stay put - to stop the potential spread of disease when they visit shops etc.

Where the Chief Medical Officer for Scotland went wrong was in (a) not following her own instructions, (b) going to check on her holiday home not once but twice, on consecutive weekends, and (c) having got there, not having stayed indoors and instead having gone out and mingled with the public.

I must admit that, before the lockdown started, we had envisaged day trips in our campervan where we would have our own on-board refreshments and toilet facilities and where we would just walk in National Trust gardens or on local beaches, keeping to social distancing rules, and hopefully not harming anyone but we have not done so once the request was made that we should all "stay at home". Instead we sit in the campervan in the garden, enjoying the view whilst eating our lunch and building up our strength for the weeding which needs to be done. We visit our grandchildren via Skype twice a week and chat to our neighbours by email or on the phone. And, actually, the time is passing quite pleasantly, or it is now that we have managed to get ourselves onto Sainsbury's list of "over-70's" which allows us one delivery per week, which is all we really need. Oh, and we have managed to get signed up for home delivery of our assorted prescription medicines. We used to collect them from the dispensary at the GP's surgery but that is the last place one wants to be going just now.

Best wishes to all for a Happy Easter. Love, Janet.

Ian 6 April 2020
  
Just to say that I wrote my email before I heard that Boris had been taken into intensive care and that my remarks on the Queen and the Scottish Chief Medical Officer were meant light-heartedly. I felt her message came from the heart and her looking back to her first broadcast during the War -  before most of us were born - to be particularly moving. The scenes from inside the intensive care units shown on the news this evening show that we are living through times that are equally threatening and just as dangerous to those on the front line as they were when we were fighting nazism rather than Covid-19. 

Stay safe, Ian 

Janet 7 April 2020

Dear Ian

Thanks. And thank you for the photos. You clearly live in warmer climes - our bluebells do not come till after the daffodils and only a few of the daffodils in our garden are in bloom as yet, though we do have wallflowers and forget-me-knots out, as well as forsythia and apple blossom. But it is the rhubarb which has needed the most weeding and I have a little robin who comes to watch for the worms and keep me company whilst I work.

Best wishes. Janet.

Lesley 07 April 2020

Thank you Ian for sharing your new perspective. Our daughter, a respiratory consultant, now treats only Covid-19 patients dressed in a ‘space-type’ head suit...our daily anxiety is palpable.

Take care everyone, Lesley 

Anne 07 April 2020

Dear all,

The local paper has published my translation of the poem Sylvia sent, it
was in the paper today. I am sending a (long!!) link so that those of
you who read German can see it. A friend texted me this morning thanking
me and saying she was sending it on to her sister!
Ein Gedicht bewegt die Menschen: Anne Fishburn aus Rohrbach ist zurzeit in engem Kontakt mit ehemaligen Kommilitonen in Großbritannien, schreibt sie uns. "Eine Freundin hat neulich einen Text in die Gruppe gepostet, den ich sehr passend zu dieser Zeit, die wir alle jetzt durchlaufen, empfand." Er wurde von Kitty O'Meara geschrieben, pensionierte irische Lehrerin in den USA. Im Netz wurde das Gedicht auf verschiedenen Kanälen bereits oft geteilt, in einem Medieninterview sagt die Autorin, wie glücklich sie darüber ist, den Menschen während der Pandemie Trost spenden zu können. Fishburn hat das Gedicht übersetzt:
Und die Leute blieben daheim. Und lasen Bücher, und hörten zu, und entspannten sich, und trainierten, und schafften Kunst, und spielten, und lernten neue Wege des Seins, und waren still. Und horchten tiefer. Einige meditierten, einige beteten, einige tanzten,
Und die Leute fingen an, anders zu denken.Und die Leute wurden geheilt. Und, in Abwesenheit der Leute, die auf ignorante, gefährliche, gedankenlose und herzlose Art leben, fing die Erde an zu heilen.
Und als die Gefahr vorbei war, und die Leute wieder zusammenkamen, trauerten sie um ihre Verluste und trafen neue Entscheidungen, und träumten neue Bilder und schafften eine neue Art zu leben und die Erde ganz zu heilen, so wie sie auch geheilt wurden.
Keep safe and sane, Anne

Janet 7 April 2020

Yes, Anne, this is a lovely translation, and the poem is very pertinent to our current situation. But, Sylvia, I don't see how the (lovely) poem can be a response to the potato famine - people would have been starving to death, rather than simply dealing with enforced isolation, and hence in no mood for anything like singing and dancing - I think it must be a response to some sort of other epidemic. 

Best wishes to all and let's hope they can reopen the city parks for the flat-dwellers. maybe they could introduce some sort of queuing system, as per the supermarkets, to help avoid overcrowding and concomitant contagion, or at least arrange to "police" them to ensure social distancing. Janet.

Anne 7 April 2020

Hi Janet and all

I should explain that this poem is in response to this epidemic. The author is alive and hopefully well in USA, a retired teacher of Irish origin and she wrote it this year. Pehaps she had the potato famine in mind, being also a time of great crisis in Ireland. The information given by Sylvia was not correct but it's a lovely text and has gone viral all round the globe.

Anne

Angela 08 April 2020

Hello Sylvia

I shouldn't worry too much. Since you sent the poem I have seen it a few times and it is always attributed to the Irish Famine, though just recently, additional notes are appearing that it is actually more recent. You are right that it is such a beautiful and relevant piece that it stands on its own. I shall be sending it to our botanical art group following a request for something uplifting, so thank you again.

I walked to Cley beach yesterday morning, it is just down the road so I wasn't breaking any rules, and for the first time ever I had it completely to myself! The beach road is closed to cars and the bird hides are also closed. The last time this happened was during the 2013 flood.

Hope everyone is keeping well. Love, Angela

Janet 8/April 2020

Dear Sylvia and Ange, and All

Yes, thank you Sylvia, it was really good of you to send the poem, whatever its provenance. I know how difficult it can be to find the correct attribution for poems or quotations one comes across whilst browsing.

The below is a poem I came across recently that I find uplifting - and a useful reminder to look on the bright side whenever possible - but whose provenance I do not know.

Poem (for a happy life)
Count your garden by the flowers,
Never by the leaves that fall;
Count your days by golden hours,
Don’t remember clouds at all.
Count your night by stars, not shadows,
Count your years with smiles, not tears.
Count your blessings, not your troubles,
Count your age by friends, not years!

Love, Janet.

Sue 9 April 2020

Hi All

I'm really glad we are all connected, and especially glad you've joined in Pat.    Good to have company now that the pace of the outbreak is changing.

I've been sharing so many of your links and attachments, and raising a smile with friends, especially with the Ronnie Corbett sketch and the help-desk video, so very many thanks to you all.    I'll be sending the Christopher Robin one to my most pessimistic relative - an Edinburgh accountant now resident in the US.

In exchange, here's a garden tour link that you may enjoy - I'm especially thinking of you here, Margaret, for those days when you can't get out into the garden at St Luke's.    5 Gorgeous Gardens You Can (Virtually) Tour From Home

Out here in the colonies, we are grateful to the National Theatre for letting us see their productions on film at a cinema, so I was impressed that they have made some of their films available via youtube for short periods.    If you are missing your trips to live theatre, you might like the link.   I can definitely recommend the Twelfth Night (perhaps like me you studied it at school) which I saw not so very long ago.

Needless to say our NZ Minister of Health has proved as much of a liability as health leaders elsewhere, breaking his own rules about exercising close to home.   Saved from the chop as supposedly having some institutional knowledge that might be of use.   The Easter week-end, as elsewhere,  will be a big test as far as complying with the lockdown is concerned, with so many being tempted to head out to their baches ( holiday homes).

So the Easter advice from NZ is "Stay home, eat chocolate, wash your hands" - which seems fair enough to me -

Stay well all of you, Sue

Sylvia 9 April 2020

I also love the fact that Jacinda Ardern has announced that the Easter Bunny's role has been deemed an essential service, although with his own family to care for, he might not be able to visit as many homes as usual.  This gives a let-out for any family which might not have been able to get hold of Easter eggs.  My daughter's first thought, when supplies of basic goods became scarce, was not for toilet rolls or pasta, but for Easter eggs.  That's my girl!!

Stay well, everyone, Sylvia

Anne 9 April 2020

Hi everyone, thanks, Sue for your latest news and links. I am missing the direct transmissions from the Royal Opera House which come even to my local cinema and I love them! I also love the advice to eat chocolate. When Ray was alive there was always chocolate in the house. He would eat a whole bar of Lindt milk chocolate for breakfast. Yesterday a neighbour offered to shop for me. After all the rice and salad meals I've been preparing I had a sudden craving for something sweet and asked her to bring me, along with other items, 2 bars of Ritter Sport chocolate. After she had delivered them I polished off one of them straight off - the joghurt one! No Easter eggs or bunnies however.
I hope you will all manage to celebrate Easter in a satisfactory way, it will be different - I should have been flying to Manchester today - but people are being very creative and inventive and the feeling is that we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

God bless, Anne

Pat 9 April 2020

My son Howard is shopping in Aldi for a friend and her elderly aunt today. He’s bought me some plants, having no idea what they are(!)- but equally good if it is in stock he’s getting my favourite chocolate which is dark with hazelnuts - the make is Choceur. Naughty but nice! He’s been given 12 weeks off with pay because of living with me, the vulnerable one. He can hardly believe his luck and today got straight on to a big job of opening up my garden by chopping down some bushes. 

I’ll try to send a before and after pic. [Three pictures sent: Going, going, gone!]

Take care everyone. Love, Pat

Jane 9 April 2020

That's a big garden, Pat, and looking good.

Thanks again to you all for the emails - and poems. I am going to send Anne's translation to my German Konversation group  which we hoped to continue in the garden suitably isolated. But of course that could not happen in 'lockdown' - and anyway it has been much too cold to sit out, with a sneaky wind even when the sun shines.

Today I managed the self-service till in Sainsbury's! - with the lad standing well behind me to remind me to put scanned items in the bagging area. I still have banking to sort out. When the lockdown started David and I worried about how to get cash as I was going to the Post Office after the Clydesdale branch in town closed last August (holes in the wall terrify me since I first used one on my own about 20 years ago and the machine ate my card). We have not used cash for over 3 weeks! Lockdown is a great way to save money - no books bought since it started and our only indulgence has been some decent wine delivered by a local merchant.

Today I should have had laser treatment on the eye which has suffered 'capular hazing' since a cataract operation several years ago. I was doubtful about that operation when the apprentice surgeon said 'oh dear' halfway through, was told to carry on by the consultant and then he took over. But much relief to get a call a week ago to say the laser treatment had been cancelled. Perhaps it will get done one day. David and I both have one good eye and one bad, fortunately different eyes, so if we walk with the good ones together we manage quite well!

When we go for our morning walk we meet several other 'elderlies' and exchange greetings even if we do not know them. Joggers and the young, we notice, just carry on regardless, often in twos and threes, wrapped up in their own conversations and looking neither right nor left. So much for the helpful young!

My contact in Newfoundland has been going through his archive while isolating in St John's, and finding more evidence of my paternal grandfather's rum-running (or rather whisky-running) activities during Prohibition. At one point there 750,000 cases of assorted alcohol in warehouses in St Pierre et Miquelon, including 24 varieties of Scotch whisky, priced from $22.50 - $8, for the runners to buy and ship to the coast of America. This has taken me back to looking at family history which makes a change from the Almanac/Notebook for 1644 which a friend and I have been working on for some years.

Time for lunch!

Take care all of you, and love from Jane

Sylvia 9 April 2020

What a lovely big garden, Pat.  The reduction of the shrub(s?) has really opened up that area.  My garden is more pocket handkerchief sized, but with far fewer commitments at the moment, I'm managing to make it look more respectable, especially since my new lawn mower arrived on Saturday.  My only regret is that I didn't take a photo of the lawn when it was at its height (about 4 inches) for a "before and after".  18 months ago, I planted 100 spring bulbs in a fairly small area and it's looking quite jolly now even though it's still early for some of them.  I'm waiting for the delivery of some bee friendly seeds which I ordered via 38 Degrees.  I'm told they're on their way.  I'm hoping they will provide more colour once the last of the bulbs finish flowering in May.  

I'm sure you'll get the hang of debit cards soon, Jane, and if you take a deep breath and launch into online banking, you'll even be able to transfer money, so that you don't have to handle cash at the moment.  I do prefer to use cash under normal circumstances, but at the moment it's safer not to.  Although I envy you your life in St. Andrews on the whole, you've reminded me of one of the downsides, - the much colder weather.  It's almost been too warm to garden here and I'm sure it's even warmer for Pat, Tony, Ian and Howard!

I'm off to do my daily dose of gardening.

Love to all and stay well, Sylvia

Sylvia 10 April 2020

Dear All,

If nothing else positive comes out of this surreal situation, keeping in closer touch with friends has to be a big plus.

After nearly a month of full time work and more, my daughter Helen, who normally works only 20 hours a week, has a long weekend off, so they have decided to go camping.  Unfortunately, they can't get their campervan into the back garden, so they will be camping on their lawn in their 4-man tent.  I'm really looking forward to hearing about their "adventures".  Having What'sApp'd with my son, Chris, this morning I've discovered that the two older boys have built a den in their main room and plan to sleep in it tonight.  At 8 and 5, I'm not sure how long they will last in it, but again, I'm curious to hear how it went.

It's made me wonder how inventive other families are being over this long weekend.

Love to all and stay well, Sylvia

No comments: