Friday 22 May 2020

Supsliskans in lock-down. Week 9. 11-17 May


Week 9: 11-17 May

Margaret 11 May 2020
Dear everyone,
Well done, Sylvia, for getting the emails flowing again. Reading through them again there's a wide range of domestic backgrounds   with a common thread running through. Everyone has their own story to tell but at the same time expresses a strong interest and involvement in the world beyond. It's probably that which has held us together over the years.
Amanda, who was at Sheffield some years after us and has just retired as librarian at Queens College, enjoyed the year and kept in touch with a few folk but no reunions. She was surprised and impressed when I told her of our 50th anniversary lunch.
Well I have been living in the rather surreal environment of a hospital for nearly 4 months. A few weeks ago we were told that 3 patients had tested positive for the dreaded virus. Hitherto I had felt very safe here but from then on I realised there was a risk factor. But they were not on my floor.
This morning the occupational therapist came to see me saying we needed to talk.  Apparently we have a further 6 confirmed cases so she wants to get things in motion to get me home. The plan is for me to have live-in carer for a month followed by one to come twice a day. I am to live in my garden room on the ground floor and have the adjacent utility room adapted as a temporary kitchen.
All the weeks of inactivity mean that my leg muscles have weakened so I am learning to walk again. The physios here are very impressive - the latest gadgets are a pair of 1kg weights.  So I am doing lots of exercises and seem to be making good progress.
I think that's enough of my somewhat restricted circumstances. It's a strange existence being on the receiving end when I am used to a more outgoing life. Can I be of any use I wonder? Yes! A smiling face when the nurses come to my room - welcoming them by name - knowing when to chat and when to shut up - and showing a bit of appreciation .- and cracking the odd joke!
Enough philosophizing. I miss having visitors but friends and neighbours are very good so I count myself lucky. So that is my rather sober contribution.
Love to you all from Margaret
Wonderful - I have got this far and not lost it so here goes and I will click the.  Send all hope that includes 14 rather than 12.

Val 11 May 2020
Oh, Margaret, this all sounds so scary for you, but it sounds as though you have very good advice, help, care & positive plans in place. You, too, sound ready to do the best you can to return home & regain fitness & mobility & escape the virus. I’m sure I speak for us all in wishing you all the best & a very speedy return home to a safer environment. You are upliftingly inspirational.
Love, Val

Anne 11 May 2020
Dear Margaret
Just to say I agree wholeheartedly with Val's good wishes. It was so good to hear from you but rather alarming that the hospital think you will be safer at home. It sounds as though the arrangements for your health and safety have been well-thought out. It will be hard to get back to being mobile  again after such a long break but I know you are a very determined lady.
Temperature drop here of about 20°! Snow is forecast in some not much higher regions, everything is crazy!
Take care, Anne

Lesley 11 May 2020
Dear Margaret,
Val is right, she conveys our warmest wishes on behalf of all of us.  I'm pleased I visited two summers ago as I can envisage the modifications.
Will write more some time as pre-occupied with co-authoring a book with an ex-work colleague/now friend and so focused on that. 
But, loving the perspectives from different countries.
Anne, have shared the Guardian Weekly observation on female leaders with frinds in England and just now in the US - the latter have a female governor and she was much quicker off the mark and caring so their number of cases and deaths very low.
Warm wishes to all, Lesley

Pat 11 May 2020
Dear Margaret,
I’d like to add my good wishes too. An upheaval for you after so long away from home, but you sound positive and it looks as if they have arranged adequate care for you. If not shout! Good luck with adapting back. Keep smiling and keep well, which is the main thing. 
Thanks Sylvia for your kind words. Glad to be back in the fold.  To you too Anne. I’m reluctant to lend my son out. He’s being too useful. 
Only startling news today is that he reported that he was just turning his car round in the village when traffic was halted by a police presence and a naked man standing outside Oxfam! I did not gather that the location had significance, but who knows? We live in strange times.
Back to watching the press conference with Boris enlightening us and Fiona Bruce refereeing. 
Love to all, Pat

Sylvia 11 May 2020
Dear Margaret,
Your news about a possible return home didn’t come as a complete surprise to me since you told me it might be on the cards when we spoke on the phone a couple of weeks ago, but it’s come as a shock to hear about the increase in Covid-19 cases at the hospital since then. It seems to me that your home will be the safest place for you now. At least the layout of your house will allow you to live on the ground floor for the time being. I can’t remember if the stairs to the first floor would allow for a stairlift, but if so, that could give you further access.
One good thing is that you’ll be able to use your computer once you’re home, although you did very well with your phone this time!
Do keep us informed of progress and as Pat says, make a fuss if you aren’t getting what you need.
Love, Sylvia 

No comments: